Tuesday 15 March 2011

HANNAH TRIGWELL: Interview

Singer/songwriter Hannah Trigwell is set to release her first EP, with a launch party scheduled for May 13th. Hannah is a skillful songwriter, writing well-constructed lyrics and soft, floating melodies. She has built up a solid fan base via YouTube and BlogTV. She is also a regular busker on the streets of Leeds, her local city, and she has performed on the BBC Radio Leeds "Raw Talent" show.

Hannah kindly agreed to answer a few questions:

Can you say what tracks will be on your new EP? You must be very excited about its release.

The track listing for Hold My Heart is: Whisper, Break Your Fall, Open and Give It Up. Yes, I am ridiculously excited! Apart from Break Your Fall, all of the songs were written fairly recently, but I would definately describe the EP as eclectic. Once I was in the studio the process was so much fun and really interesting to witness how the tracks came together. The EP will be available on iTunes from May 13th, with a launch party at Hifi in Leeds that night to celebrate!

The musicians you recorded with in the studio...had you played with them previously?

I hadn't played with any of the musicians before we got into the studio, but the songs took shape quite quickly because of how talented the musicians were and just the relaxed atmosphere. I had a wicked time recording the EP and the musicians I recorded with brought so much to the tracks, it was a brilliant experience. The recording process itself was really organic, and I love the EP for that.

Would you say busking is a good idea for up and coming singer / songwriters?

I would say so. I have had a lot of opportunities arise when busking through people who I've just engaged on the street. I enjoy busking, but it can get a bit chilly when the sun isn't out, which is most of the time! It's the perfect way to get your music into the ears of hundreds of people who would otherwise not have heard it. I am now represented by Hear Me Roar Management, who first noticed me when I was busking! James Morrison and Tracy Chapman also started out as buskers; it's a great way to get out there.

Do you remember your first ever busking performance?

Yes I do, I was absolutely petrified haha! I feel quite comfortable now, because I have been busking many times so getting my equipment out and generally sizing up the area to see if I could pull off bursting into song isn't so much of a worry now. The first time I went out I was chuffed at the reaction I was getting, that's what has kept me at it.

Have you had any strange / weird experiences while you have been busking?

I have had a few people bust some moves while I've been playing, anything by Michael Jackson is guarenteed to get toes tapping. Last summer the top of the main shopping row, Briggate, got completely blocked by I'm guessing nearly two hundred people who had sat down in the street to watch me play, that was an amazing day. I've also had a few musicians put money in my case, Ricky Wilson of Kaiser Chiefs being the most impressive!

Do you find that writing songs comes naturally to you, or is it something you have really had to work at?

I have always found that writing songs comes naturally to me, I think I have progressed a lot over the last two years but when I'm in the mood to write or I have something to say it seems to just flow out of me. I start off with the music, any simple chord progression usually, and then sing anything and everything, find a hook for the song, it's really just whatever is on my mind.

Do you enjoy performing on youtube and blogtv?

The first time I went on blogtv I got featured and had over 720 people watching me live from all over the world. The internet is just a brilliant way of getting your own music out there. Blogtv is an amazing concept, and it lets people watching interact with with you as you are broadcasting live so you get immediate feedback. Youtube is another platform I find really useful in getting constructive criticism on my original songs, it's helped me to structure my songs properly and find which songs of mine would be most popular if I released them. Now with over 550,000 total views and 3,000 subscribers, I have a large audience from all over the world on the internet, as well as locally on the street busking and at gigs. 

 Have you always performed solo? Would you like to have your own band?

At high school I was briefly the lead singer in a rock-pop band, but I have been playing my own stuff (in my bedroom) for about 4 years, now performing as a solo acoustic act. I do sometimes perform with another guitarist and I'm getting a full band together now to give the songs more depth.

Do you feel that you are part of a Leeds ‘scene’ in terms of music?

I feel as I am playing more gigs and doing more radio sessions more people are becoming familiar with my name and I'm being offered more gigs, so yes. The music scene in leeds is ace, there are so many great unsigned acts here.

What was it like to appear on BBC “Raw Talent”?

It was so exciting. To be invited to get involved in BBC Raw Talent was amazing, and I really enjoy doing live radio sessions. It is another way to get my music across to people who would otherwise not have heard it. To have your music associated with BBC Raw Talent is massive! It is a fantastic experience.

I know you have played quite a lot of gigs locally, but do you plan to do any gigs outside the Leeds area?

Leeds offers a lot of great venues to play at, but there are several places outside of the Leeds area that I am interested in playing. I would love to do a mini-tour in the near future to spread the EP around the UK. For now I am focusing on May 13th- the launch of Hold My Heart!

Thanks very much Hannah, and good luck for the launch!

Hannah performs her original song "What If" in Leeds City Centre:


Check out Hannah's You Tube channel and her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment